I posted Sunday morning to say Op Shop Jnr and I were heading out for what has become a bit of a regular outing for us, a trip to Cheltenham Rotary Sunday Market and then over the road to the Cheltenham Family Life Op Shop.
We finish with the highlight (in Op Shop Jnr’s opinion) of the trip – brunch!
Cheltenham Market is a real mix of a market in an undercover car park so it runs rain. hail or shine. There are plant sellers, flowers vendors, fruit & veggie people, some handmade, second hand, and in my opinion the trash – cheap and nasty new items that will probably fail most Australian standards.
Thankfully Op Shop Jnr now knows I’d rather pay $5 on a handful of second hand toys than on one which will break after it’s dropped. We can avoid these tables without any drama despite their flashing lights, annoying music and moving parts. They don’t last.
As I headed out I posted asking people on the Facebook page what I’d probably see when out op shopping. The following list is what followed from the lovely people that follow the page on Facebook.
- Suitcase – Check
- Teapot – Check
- Kids Chair – Think Op Shop Jnr misunderstood this one!
- Milk Glass – I didn’t really know what this was. Can anyone enlighten me?
- Vintage Tea Towels – Failed
- Buttons – Fail
- Old soda syphon bottle with the wire around it – Fail
- 50 Shades of Grey – Check
- Film Reels – Fail
- Wooden trinket boxes – Fail
- Vintage juice jug – Fail
- Glass punch bowl – Fail
- Blue Willow China – Fail – I was VERY surprised by this
- Bargains – Plenty!!
- Stuffed toys galore / teddy bears – Check
- Something really ugly – Op Shop Jnr loved this one – Plenty
- Photo frames – Shelves of them
- Kamahal /Nana Maskouri records – failed! I looked through four drawers and even I was shocked!
- Couch – A few
- Duck soaps – Fail
- Terrible cookbooks from the 80s and 90s with photos of lots of brown foods!! – Check
- An old picnic basket – several
- Fake Guess bag – fail
- Dora the Explorer talking doll – She was off exploring but her side kick Diego was found
- Empty Moccona jars – fail
- Floral coffee mugs – enough for a Biggest morning Tea!
- Harry Potter VHS – fail
- Clear brown Pyrex – check
- Books – A Plenty, many more than the one’s mentioned above
- Foot Spa – spotted hidden away
- Dan Browns ‘The DaVinci Code’ – Failed!!!!! I even asked a volunteer where the Dan Brown section was and he took me to it and was gobsmacked that there were none there. A fan must have beaten us to it.
- Denim skirts – check
- Tuppaware – check
- The entire Twilight series – Yep!
- A retro lamps / bed side lamps – check
- Knitting needles – check
I’ve not had an op shopping trip quite like this, there were probably some we missed but my time was up – Op Shop Jnr wanted his brunch! I think we and Family Life did bloody well. It’s a great op shop and is bustling with Sunday shoppers. It’s nicely organised and has a great variety as some of the pics show.
Must recommend where we ate though – Main Street Café in Mordialloc. It’s a great café with a lovely atmosphere. it’s child friendly and the staff seemed to be buzzing to be there which rubs off on everyone stopping for food or a cuppa. There’s a great breakfast and lunch menu and after a morning of shopping we were refuelled which was just as well because the Vinnies at Edithvale was open!